Elizabeth Craft Designs' Feather Dies & Oxide Distress Inks
A friend of mine lost her mother last week; even though she lived a long life, it's still tough to say a final good-bye to mom. I wanted to make a very simple card to send. I was able to do that with the new feather dies from Elizabeth Craft Designs and the new Tim Holtz Distress Oxide Inks.
Elizabeth Craft Designs:
Sentiment: Hope RS004
Die: Feathers 1272
Tim Holtz Distress Oxide Inks:
Broken China; Worn Lipstick; Cracked Pistachio; Spiced Marmalade
Tsukineko's VersaMark ink & VersaFine in Onyx Black
IMAGINE Crafts' GooseBumps in clear
Ranger's Queen's Gold Fine Embossing Powder
Gold Glitter Pen
MISTI Creative Corners (L Shape) by My Sweet Petunia
Large Ink Daubers
Black Glossy Card Stock by JudiKins
SEI's solid velvet paper in Cappuccino
Strathmore Watercolor Card Stock 140# cold press (base A7 card)
White Linen heavy card stock (card panel)
This was a total experiment! I pounced the Distress Oxide Inks onto the black glossy card stock with large daubers; I loved the look just like that but I continued on. I sprayed a very fine mist of water over the inks. Because I had pounced the ink on rather than "spread" the ink on, the reaction looked totally different; perhaps from the thicker concentration of ink from pouncing. I took my heat tool from a distance to dry it as best I could.
Because the ink was applied onto glossy card stock, the non-absorbent surface left the ink on the surface and required a fixative of some kind. I tried the aerosol spray fixative but the oxide ink reacted to the minimal amount of liquid in the spray. I then used the GooseBumps; the oxide inks reacted a little bit but I knew the GooseBumps spray would provide a protective surface when dry. I allowed the GooseBumps to air dry; it doesn't take long.
The feathers were die cut from this colored card stock. Another feather was also die cut from the velvet paper to add a little contrast. The colored feathers were partially dipped into VersaMark ink and embossed with the gold embossing powder.
The sentiment was stamped onto the card panel with VersaFine ink, and the feathers were adhered with glue dots. Using the "L" creative corner from the new MISTI Creative Corners set, I drew partial framing lines on the card panel with a gold glitter pen. The finished panel was then adhered to the card base.
I really like the effects of the pounced distress inks on glossy card stock. Next time, I am going to try spraying the pounced inks with only the GooseBumps to see what happens. I love all of the surprises that playing brings to the day. I hope you do, too!
Thank you for stopping by today. Wishes for a fabulous Friday coming your way!